ATTENDANCE AND ABSENCES
· If you have enrolled in public school, daily attendance at school is required. Your student cannot progress if s/he isn’t here on a consistent basis. For the benefit of your child’s education and future opportunities, please make sure your child is present every day, all day.
· Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. will need to be accompanied by an adult or a note giving the reason for tardiness.
· If your child cannot come to school you need to report the absence and the reason for the absence to the school attendance office before 9:00 a.m. The phone number for the attendance office is 833-9908 or 833-9918 or 833-9903 (for Spanish).
· If you do not contact the school, the absence will be considered an unexplained absence. After three (3) unexplained absences or tardies, an assistant principal will contact parents either by phone or home visit. If tardies or absences become a pattern, the case will be referred to the district truancy officer and truancy court. Students with excessive absences may be retained.
· Explained absences are granted for the following reasons:
1. Student illness. If a student is absent three days or more, a doctor’s note must be brought to the nurse’s office before the child can be admitted to class.
2. Death in the family
3. Family emergencies
4. Head lice/nit removal—2 days MAXIMUM
· Students who have ten consecutive unexplained absences will be withdrawn. If the student returns to school a parent must accompany the child and complete the entire enrollment process again.