After a successful first year, Tulsa Public Schools is launching its second session of Tulsa Teacher Corps.
Tulsa Teacher Corps is a program for aspiring teachers. It allows them to get hands-on training in real classrooms and receive ongoing support and feedback from experienced educators.
During the first year, the program trained 75 new teachers in a rigorous summer training course. In the fall, those in the program started leading their own classrooms.
The accelerated, tuition-free program is an alternative to traditional certification programs for paraprofessionals and substitutes who already work in Tulsa Public Schools classrooms, recent college graduates and experienced professionals from other fields.
The application process for the second year is now open. The goal is to train 125 new teachers. We are recruiting for elementary and English Language Development.
Applications can be submitted from now until Monday, April 1, 2019.
The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply early.
To be eligible for the program, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Submit a current resume and names of 2 references who have supervised their work
- Meet all legal requirements to work in the United States
- Pass a criminal background check and drug test before the start of summer training
- Be available for the six-week intensive summer training
- Be willing to teach in Tulsa Public Schools upon completion of training
Once accepted, corps members will complete the summer training and teach in summer school classes under the guidance of a master teacher.
The training focuses on the skills they'll need to be successful in their first year of teaching and beyond so that they are ready to meet the needs of students starting on day one. The candidates that show they're on their way to mastering those skills at the end of the training will be hired for a teaching position.
You can find more information on Tulsa Teacher Corps here.