Getting to School
We provide bus transportation for:
- Non-transfer elementary students living 1.5 miles or more from their school; and
- Non-transfer middle school or high school students living 2 miles or more from their school.
Buses may arrive up to 15 minutes after the scheduled stop time. Students should remain at the stop up to 15 minutes after the scheduled stop time. If students wait longer than 15 minutes, call 918-833-8100.
Buses load and unload at the front entrance to the Kendall Whittier Elementary building.
Who do I call if my child has not returned home from school on time?
- First call your child’s school
- If you do not get an answer, call transportation at 918-833-8100
- Note: buses may run 10-minutes after the posted stop time
Who do talk to about transportation for students with special needs?
- Call our special needs transportation representative at 918-833-8148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: There is a 3-5 day processing window for all new applications
A student may be reported by the bus driver and removed from the bus by the principal or designated representative for the following reasons.
- Leaving the seat while bus is in motion.
- Drinking or eating on the bus.
- Use of offensive or vulgar language.
- Disrespect to the bus driver.
- Destruction of property.
- Putting any body part out of the bus window.
- Unlocking the emergency door except at the direction of the bus driver.
Consequences for being reported by the bus driver include the following steps.
- First offense—a warning.
- Second offense—one-day suspension from the bus.
- Third offense—two day suspension from the bus.
- Fourth offense—three day suspension from the bus.
- Fifth offense—one week suspension to long term suspension.
Any step may be skipped due to the severity of the offense.
SUSPENSION FROM THE BUS MEANS THE STUDENT MAY NOT RIDE ANY TULSA PUBLIC SCHOOL BUS TO OR FROM SCHOOL.
- The student is still expected to be in attendance at school when he/she is suspended from the bus.
All bus riders must have a signed transportation form on file to ride the bus.
Bus Information continued. . . .
- Bus riders are NOT allowed to walk home or ride another bus without a written note from the parent/guardian, which has been approved by the principal or assistant principal.
- Bus referrals are handled by the administration. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the assistant principal at 833-9906 or 833-9904.
- If you have problems with the bus schedule, please call transportation at 833-8100. Any concerns about a bus driver should be reported to the same number.
|Opening Bell||7:30 a.m.|
|Dismissal Bell||2:35 p.m.|
If you have enrolled in public school, daily attendance at school is required. Your student cannot progress if s/he isn’t here on a consistent basis. For the benefit of your child’s education and future opportunities, please make sure your child is present every day, all day.
Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. will need to be accompanied by an adult or a note giving the reason for tardiness.
- If your child cannot come to school you need to report the absence and the reason for the absence to the school attendance office before 9:00 a.m. The phone number for the attendance office is 833-9908 or 833-9918 or 833-9903 (for Spanish).
- If you do not contact the school, the absence will be considered an unexplained absence. After three (3) unexplained absences or tardies, an assistant principal will contact parents either by phone or home visit. If tardies or absences become a pattern, the case will be referred to the district truancy officer and truancy court. Students with excessive absences may be retained.
- Explained absences are granted for the following reasons:
1. Student illness. If a student is absent three days or more, a doctor’s note must be brought to the nurse’s office before the child can be admitted to class.
2. Death in the family
3. Family emergencies
4. Head lice/nit removal—2 days MAXIMUM
- Students who have ten consecutive unexplained absences will be withdrawn. If the student returns to school a parent must accompany the child and complete the entire enrollment process again.